Wednesday, September 3, 2014

What does one write about after confessing to being a racist?


Yes, this would be the question.  Everything else might seem kind of anti-climatic.  Well, in my view, if we white folks just admitted to the terrible reality of racism, we would all be better off and might actually get somewhere in combatting it.  Anyway...I see that guy who posts on Facebook, HONY (Humans of New York) is discovering the great big world out there outside of New York City in areas of conflict around the world. Today he writing about a former child soldier who has made his life into helping others avoid his fate:


I had the distinct and unusual wondrous experience of working with refugees from around the world for the last 10 years of my career.  So I learned so much about what we Americans tend to be sheltered from of some of the terrible happenings in the world.  I am forever grateful for the lessons taught me by my former clients.  Listening to their stories put my trivial problems into the perspective to which they belonged.  Another wonderful site to learn about what is going on in the world of refugees is the UNHCR site (United Nations High Commission On Refugees):



Photo by Steve Lester

No comments:

Post a Comment