Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Sherman Alexie

Just last week, I wrote a post on Sherman Alexie and then promptly and accidentally erased it.  It's taken me all week to try to get up the gumption to re-write it.  Here goes:

Last Wednesday, Steve and I attended one of the Readings and Conversation programs put on by a local outfit called The Cabin.  They bring in wonderful writers from all over to talk to an eager audience that pays a lot for a seat.  Last time it was Chris Albani and the time before it was Erik Larson.  We have seen Amy Tan and Marilynne Robinson and a bunch more.  If my memory wasn't totally shot, I would name off a few more.  But there you go.  This time, it was Sherman Alexie.  I love the writings of this guy. We heard him speak years ago when he was just starting to gain fame.  He was kind of snarky and insulting to his audience then.  This time, he was more good-naturedly snarky. No telling what a few years and lots of money can do for a person's stage presence. He was  so great, so funny.  I have read so much of his work: Blasphemy, Indian Killer, War Dances, Flight, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian, and, of course, The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fist Fight in Heaven (more about that one later).

Anyway, many of you may know that The Absolutely True Diary... was banned by the Meridian school district a couple of years ago and then subsequently reinstated.  Of course, his talk had to start out with some joking about that.  And he had a few words of teasing and gentle ridicule for the white liberals types in the audience, which of course included me and Steve. But then the rest of his talk was a memory story about when he was 15 and going to an all white high school and fell in love with an 18 year old girl with a big,giant boyfriend, who eventually tried to beat him up.  The story was infused with so much tenderness, humanity and humor.  It was lovely.  It is amazing how much he is able to capture what is uniquely individually him and so universal at the same time.  Both Steve were inspired and enlivened by his words that night.  

So here is the part that is more personal and also one of the reasons why I love his writing so much:  Back in 1995, a friend of mine, Barbara, took her own life.  She was my good and dear friend and was also the good and dear friend of my friend, Waneen. We had all worked together at Washington State University in the late 70's. At the time of Barbara's death, Waneen was working and living abroad. Somehow it was convenient for Waneen and I to meet in Seattle.  So we decided to do that to grieve for Barbara and sort of comfort one another.  So I met Waneen at the airport and we drove to North Bend, near Seattle to stay at Steve's friend, Don's house.  At the time, Don was on one of his many Himalaya trips.  So Waneen and I had the house to ourselves.  I had just started reading the wonderful book of short stories, The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fist Fight in Heaven, by our buddy, Mr. Alexie.  During the day, Waneen and I would do all kinds of stuff related to honoring our friend.  This whole thing is grist for another blog unto itself, because, believe me, it is filled with drama.  Anyway, at night, we would lay in Don's little double bed and I would read aloud from The Lone Ranger and Tonto.... We would laugh and cry and carry on.  That book helped us through. No doubt.  I'll never forget. I think Barbara was helped into Heaven herself with those stories.  I will never tire of Alexie's tender, angry, hilarious and beautiful words.  He speaks to the best in all of us.  And I thank him humbly for that.


4 comments:

  1. So glad you shared this - he sounds amazing and I always love to hear what you are reading :-) And yes would love to hear the next installment of your time in Seattle with Waneen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy. I will be writing that next installment soon!

      Delete
  2. This brings tears to my eyes, sadness for the loss of your friend, which made me also miss Eileen. And then there's Sherman laying his vulnerability out there like a sacrifice for us all. Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "...laying his vulnerability out theres like a sacrifice for the rest of us." Wow, beautiful and true. I miss Eileen, too. Thank you so much.

      Delete