Sunday, July 13, 2014

Hello again.  I have been told that yesterday people were not able to comment.  I have attempted to correct that.  Please let me know if you try to comment but can't.  Okay here is my thought for the day.  This is a poem that became one of my favorites several years ago.  I have shared it previously, but wanted to in this format.  The poem was shared with a group of women I was a part of led by a woman, Josephine Jones, a writer and wonder, who now lives in Colorado.  Anyway, the poem was the beginning of a writing group called the Heroine's Journey.  Here it is and I hope I am not violating some copyright or other type of law that will land me in jail without any gingerbread...

House of Changes by Jeni Couzyn

My body is a wide house
A commune
Of bickering women, hearing
their own breathing
denying each other.

Nearest the door
ready in her black leather
is Vulnerable. She lives in the hall
her face painted with care
her black boots reaching her crotch
her black hair shining
her skin milky and soft as butter.
If you should ring the doorbell
she would answer
and a wound would open across her eyes
as she touched your hand.

On the stairs, glossy and determined
is Mindful. She's the boss, handing out
Punishments and rations and examination
papers with precise
justice.  She keeps her perceptions in a huge
album under her arm
her debts in the garden with the weedkill
friends in card-index
on the windowsill of the sitting room
and a tape-recording of the world
on earphones
which she plays to herself over and over
assessing her life
writing summaries.

In the kitchen is Commendable.
The only lady in the house who
dresses in florals
she is always busy, always doing something
for someone she had a lot of friends. Her hands are quick and
cunning as blackbirds her pantry is stuffed with loaves and fishes
she knows the times of trains
and mends fuses and makes 
a lot of noise with the vacuum cleaner.
In her linen cupboard, newly-ironed and neatly
folded, she keeps her resentments like
wedding presents-each week
takes them out for counting not to
lose any but would never think of
using any being a lady.

Upstairs in a white room is
my favorite. She is Equivocal
has no flesh on her bones
that are changeable as yarrow stalks.
She hears her green plants talking
watches the bad dreams under the world
unfolding
spends her days and night
arranging her symbols
never sleeps
never eats hamburgers
never lets anyone into her room
never asks for anything.

In the basement is Harmful.
She is the keeper of weapons
the watchdog. Keeps intruders at bay
but the others keep her
locked up in the daytime and when she escapes
she comes out screaming
smoke streaming from her nostrils
flames on her tongue
razor blades for fingernails
skewers for eyes.

I am Imminent
live out in the street
watching them. I lodge myself in other people's
heads with a sleeping bag
strapped to my back.
One day I'll perhaps get to like them enough
those rough, truthful women
to move in.  One by one
I'm making friends with them all
unobstrusively, slow and steady
slow and steady





1 comment:

  1. I love the thought that there could be a commune with me - it would explain a lot ;-)

    ReplyDelete